Aligarh is mainly famous for two things all over the world, first for its lock industry and second for Aligarh Muslim University or A.M.U as popularly known. Till 18th century Aligarh was known as kol or koil but when the British occupied the land in September 1803, the current district came into existence.
Aligarh is an important commercial as well as educational centre of India. Aligarh forms a part of Agra division. Aligarh is an administrative district of Uttar Pradesh and its headquarters is located at Aligarh town. Students from all parts of the world come
to Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), especially from Muslim countries, for learning. The city has given a new breed of Muslim intelligence class that also contributed in the functioning of the then government and other authorities. The city of Aligarh has been home for various national leaders like Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Maulana Sibli Nomani, Syed brothers and Zakir Hussain, among others.
Geography of Aligarh
District of Aligarh is situated in the western part of Uttar Pradesh and in the middle portion of Doab ie. the land between River Ganga and yamuna. The district is situated towards the southeast of Delhi. It shares common boundaries with the district of Etah in the East, Bulandshahr in the North, Mathura in the west and Mahamaya Nagar in the south. As the other parts of Doab Aligarh has a hot and dry climate. December and January are the coldest month with the temperature dropping upto 3 to 4°C whereas it rises upto 45° C during summers.
Facts & Figures of Aligarh
|Year of formation
||3648.31 sq. km|
||27° 30’ N|
||79°40 ' E|
||Max.:45°C,Min.: 3° C|
|No. of Tehsil
|No. of Blocks
|No. of Villages
History of Aligarh
In the year 1753, the Bargujar Chief protested against the destruction of the Hindu temples. Surajmal (jat ruler) occupied the fort of Koil in the year 1753, his helpers being Jai Singh of Jaipur and the Muslim Army. Then also Raja Bahadur Singh, the Bargujar Chief continued his battle from another fort but was defeated and killed in the Battle of Ghasera. Ramgarh was the new name of fort of Koil until Najaf Khan, a well known Shia commander captured it and renamed it to Aligarh. Aligarh Fort was actually constructed under the guidance of French Officers Benode, Boigne and Perron by French engineers.
The second Anglo-Maratha war led to the Battle of Aligarh at the Aligarh Fort on September 1, 1803. The 76th Regiment or the Duke of Wellingtons regiment undertook the control of the Fort from the French officer Perron and claimed their rule. The second, third and fourth divisions of the British Empire along with Anupshahr and Sikandra Rao merged with the then Aligarh and gave rise to the present Aligarh. On August 1,1804. Mr. Claude Russell was appointed the first Collector of the new district.
Tourist Places in Aligarh
Aligarh fort is one of the popular land mark of the city. The Dor fortress (1524), now mostly destroyed, lies at the city's centre. Its site is in the area now called Upper Kot and is occupied by an 18th-century mosque.
Ibn sina academy of medieval medicine and sciences at Tijara house is another place that might interest anyone. It was built by Unani Physician and philanthropist Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman Hakim.
Numaish, the Annual Cultural Exhibition, is held at the exhibition ground in January and February.
How to Reach AligarhBy Rail
: Aligarh is situated at a distance of about 136 Km from the national capital New Delhi on the New Delhi-Calcutta trunk route of the Northern Railways.By Road
: Aligarh is also connected by regular half-hourly Bus Service from Agra. Generally it takes 2 hours to reach Aligarh from Agra by Bus and from New Delhi by Mail/Express Train.