Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Services in UP
Uttar Pradesh’s feather in the cap is the Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) located at Izzatnagar, Bareilly. It is the country’s premier advanced research institute facility in veterinary medicine, research and allied areas of study. The IVRI has regional campuses in Bangalore, Bhopal, Kolkata, Mukteshwar, Palampur and Srinagar. Known as the Imperial Veterinary Research Institute in pre-Independence days, it was renamed post-Independence. It is administratively controlled by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) based in New Delhi and has been conferred the status of Deemed University by the Government of India.
Through a network of easily available schemes and programmes, the department teaches and advises farmers and other people on disease control & eradication, fodder development, breeding policies and ways and means of raising livestock and poultry in a hygienic and sustainable manner. This will lead to socio-economic upliftment of the rural people and provide increased opportunities for employment.
Besides the District Veterinary Hospitals in every district of the state run by the government, there are many private and charitable veterinary clinics and hospitals equipped with good infrastructure, qualified and trained veterinary doctors to provide medical advice, emergency consultation and surgical procedures for livestock, poultry and domestic pets.
The state Animal Husbandry department is a well established one with a long history of research and development in many areas. The Ghaziabad bulls are known to be of the highest quality and very sturdy animals for breeding. The Uttar Pradesh Livestock Development Board provides assistance in allied areas of animal husbandry.
Some of the services provided by the Animal Husbandry department are:
- Quality breeding services of low productive Desi cows as well high productivity breeds like Friesian Holstein and Jersey bulls. A comprehensive breeding policy is in place and the implementation of the policy is carried out by para-vets employed by the state to reach out to the farmers and explain the procedures
- Introduction of Kamadhenu Dairy Schemes to help local farmers
- Disease control treatment and vaccination are undertaken by veterinary centres and hospitals at village and districts levels. Dispensaries provide medications and dispense disease control treatment and advice to local villagers for poultry, cattle, sheep, etc, as well for the eradication of rabies and endoparasites.
- Programmes for establishing fodder banks and new methods of fodder development are in place in all the districts.
- A large number of poultry farms in UP are run by the private sector. These are regularly inspected for quality control, disease eradication and better production. In spite of the large numbers of poultry farms, the state has to receive additional stocks from Andhra Pradesh, Haryana and Punjab to meet its offtake.
- Farmers are encouraged to opt for government loans to procure goats for rearing for meat production. Against considerable bias that sheep and goat farming are detrimental to the eco-system, sustainable methods of grazing and rearing of sheep and goat have increased all over the state. This kind of rearing and breeding has been proven to alleviate the socio-economic status of the economically weaker sections of society.
UP’s vast industry of carpet and rug production is assisted by the wool production from sheep which is mostly coarse wool and ideally suited for carpet manufacture. Along with emphasis on meat production, efforts are on to produce better quality of wool from sheep through cross-rearing.
The department encourages quality of pigs through high-breed boars and distributes piglets to farmers for piggery production. Piggery is taken up mostly by the economically and socially backward people of the region and the state government is looking for ways and means to give this sector due attention through corporate and private sector investment. However, pork is not consumed by many sections of the society for various reasons and, hence, there are many obstacles for the successful propagation of the pig production industry in the state.
List of Veterinary Hospitals in Uttar PradeshUttar Pradesh Pashudhan Vikas Parishad
Nagla Bhoord Daadon
Aligarh Ho, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh - 202001
Phone No.: 9412404707Veternary Hospital
Uttar Pradesh - 221001
Phone No.: 542 2414 669Government Veterinary Hospital
Uttar Pradesh - 221001
Phone No.: 542 2262 425, 224 6450Tyagi Dog Hospital
C-12, G-Pocket, Main Divider Road
Ganga Nagar, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh - 250001
Phone No.: 9837253817, 9319837950Per Care Centre
Faizabad Road, Lekhraj Market, -1
Indira Nagar, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh - 226016
Phone No.: 522 2383 781Government Veterinary Hospital
Dr. Ashish Sharma, Bvsc & Ah (Hons), Mvsc (Medicine)
Bodaki, Gautam Budh Nagar
Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Phone No.: 0120-2663825, 09412354544, 09412354544Gomti Pet Clinic
4/250, Vivek Khand, Gomti Nagar
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh - 226010
Phone No.: 522 2395 452Dog Clinic
B-31; Sector- L, L.D.A. Colony, Near Jal Vayu Vihar
Kanpur Road, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh - 226012
Phone No.: 522 2425 070Pups And Foals Pet Clinic
B-1/48, Sec-J, Opposite Rbi Colony, Gate, Aliganj
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh - 226024
Phone No.: 522 2763 751Kunnal Clinic Of Pets
Paper Mill Colony, Gurudwara Market
Nishatganj, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh - 226006Misras Pet Clinic
Ugf-9, Tss Tower, Vishal Khand-3, Opposite Cms
Gomti Nagar, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh - 226010
Phone No.: 522 3096 800Dog Care & Dog Beauty Clinic
Uttar Pradesh - 211001Canine Pets Care Clinic
3/7, Vivek Khand, Gomti Nagar
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh - 226010
Phone No.: 5222394580 Life-Line Pets Clinic
Dr. Anurag Srivastava, Bvsc & Ah (Hons), Misvs
Sri Plaza Complex, Opp. Lohiya Nagar,
Sec-2 , Vikas Nagar, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh - 226006
Phone No.: 9838069509, 91-0522-321114.
Veterinary Doctors in UP
Apart from the mentioned hospitals and clinics, there are some veterinary specialists in some of the cities of Uttar Pradesh. Below is the information of all the veterinary doctors along with their address and contact details. Dr. Amitosh Saxena
Bvsc & Ah, Mvsc ( Breeding)
16 Teela, Gokulpura Ashok Nagar Road
Agra, Uttar Pradesh
Phone No.: 05622215403Dr. Ashish Shrama
Bvsc & Ah (Hon's), Mvsc (Medicine)
Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh
Phone No.: 09412354544Dr. J. K. Narang
Sparsh Pet Care
Opp. Sohia Market, Court Road
Saharanpur, Uttar Pradeh - 247001
Phone No.: 132 3290383Dr. Abhai Tilak
Pet Clinic, 148, Civil Lines,
Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh -243001,
Phone No.: (0)581-428924Dr Kumar Ravi
411, Shakti Khand-4, Indirapuram
Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh - 201010
Phone No.: 01202909151Dr. Rohit Kumar Mishra, Bvsc & Ah
E-243, Divyanager Colony,
Khorabar, Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh
Phone No.: 0551-3253139, 9793514575,Dr. Gurpreet Singh, Bvsc & Ah
Pfa, Gurudwara Road, Laneno-2
Modinagar, Uttar Pradesh - 201204
Phone No.: 01232-43936, 01232-43936.Dr. U. K. Atheya, Ph.D
College Of Veterinary Sciences, Nagla Colony
N-7, Pantnagar, Rudarpur, Uttar Pradesh - 263149
Phone No.: 0594433255, 0594433366