* In case of any delay in receiving the OTP, you may verify it later. Please proceed without verification.
Please enter your Email ID or Mobile number used at the time of registration.
If you enter your Email ID, your password will be sent to your Email ID or
if you enter your Mobile number, your password will be sent through an SMS on
your Mobile -
Jhansi, the gateway to Bundelkhand, was a stronghold of the Chandela kings but lost its importance after the eclipse of the dynasty in the 11th century. It rose to prominence again in the 17th century under Raja Bir Singh Deo who was a close associate of the Mughal Emperor Jahangir. However, its greatest claim to fame is its fiery queen Rani Laxmibai.
Jhansi Fort was constructed in the 17th century fort and was made by Raja Bir Singh on top of a hill as an army stronghold. The Karak Bijli tank is within the fort. There is also a museum which has a collectiion of sculpture and provides an insight into the history of Bundelkhand.
Government Museum, Jhansi
The Government Museum of Jhansi has the weapons, statues, dresses and photographs that represent the Chandela dynasty and a picture gallery of the Gupta period are the highlights. There are also terracottas, bronzes, manuscripts, paintings and coins.
Rani Mahal the palace of Rani Laxmi Bai has now been converted into a museum. It houses a collection of archaeological remains of the period between 9th and 12th centuries AD.
Laxmi Tal, Gangadhar Rao-Ki-Chhatri, Shri Kali Temple, Laxmi Bai Park.
How to reach
By Air : Nearest airport is Gwalior Airport – 98 km.
By Rail : Jhansi is well connected by an excellent railway network. Shatabadi Express (2001/2002) is one of the fastest luxury trains in India, provides the easiest access to the Jhansi from important stations between Delhi and Bhopal. Other important rail services to Jhansi are :
- 2137/2138 Punjab Mail (Firozpur/Delhi-Mumbai)
- 1057/1058 Dadar-Amritsar Express (Mumbai)
- 4677/4678 Jhelum Express (Jammu Tawi-Pune)
- 2627/2628 Karnataka Express (Delhi-Bangalore)
- 4067/4068 Malwa Express (New Delhi-Indore)
- 1449/1450 Mahakaushal Express (New Delhi-Jabalpur)
- 2615/2616 G.T. Express (New Delhi-Chennai)
- 2621/2622 Tamil Nadu Express (New Delhi-Chennai)